Unexpected Genealogy


Family history is a big deal in most cultures. Societally it determines what version of history we learn in schools and from our communities. In the United States, unless you live in a minority neighborhood, we do not learn about Hispanic, Islamic, African, or Asian/Pacific cultures. But this is very different in London. Over all the UK seems to have more readily available information about different cultures and ethnic group as the UK is surrounded closely by all different countries. This diversity is easily visible in their museums, specifically the Victoria Albert Art museum. 

As an American it is expected that my genetic and ethnic backgrounds are a mixed-up melting pot of different regions of the globe. But in most cases people will assume you’re from specific regions based on your skin. If you are African-American you are either from an African country or Caribbean Island. If you are white people assume you’re European. And it is uncommon for the average white American to even consider being from anywhere besides the “Motherland”. Especially not from countries we deem as lesser regarding culture or religion. It is often we forget that the world was changing, growing, and mixing far before America was even an idea. And that it is common for family heritage stories to change drastically over generations. 


I am very much a white middle class American woman, there is absolutely no questioning that. The story that my family told was that we were a mere two or three generations back from stepping off the boat from Ireland. This year for Christmas my Mom got me a DNA kit from 23andMe.com. I used it and was expecting to be predominately Irish and Italian from my Dad. Weeks later, on this trip during a lunch, I got my results and I was genuinely surprised. It turns out that I am predominately German, not impossible for my mom’s side of the family. But what was very intriguing is that I am also part Lebanese and I have no idea where that may have come from. No matter how small this a new side of myself is I currently know nothing about it and I wanted to change that. So, while at the V&A museum I knew I had to make time to stop into the Islamic Middle Eastern Gallery. 

I’ve always been interested in Middle Eastern art but this new connection to it made it a must see for me. I was a bit torn by the quantity of artifacts they had up for display. Though I realize they have limited display space I also genuinely thought there would be more available for viewing. Especially when we consider that the British stole from everyone. Every piece they had displayed in the room was intricately detailed. Even the humbler pieces we crafted artfully. Metal, glasswork, tiles, and tapestries bedecked the walls, each piece telling a different tale of royal leaders and religious influences on numerous different cultures around the Middle East. Tantalizing designs on mosaics and stained glass beg you to come closer and stand back at the same time.  Right next to an ornately tiled fireplace were two silk tunics. Upon reading the plaque I learned that it is believed that the tunics belonged to two child princes that were murdered along with their other siblings in order to secure the thrown for the newly crowned sultan. To think so much history is soaked into three square feet of cloth respectively. History I may have cultural connection to. I plan on doing more research into my own background but being in that section of the museum had my imagination running wild. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old City. New Food.

What to do When you Hated Your Study Abroad

Stationary Stories